Child Exploitation & Modern Slavery
Child exploitation refers to the use of children for someone else’s advantage, gratification or profit often resulting in unjust, cruel and harmful treatment of the child. These activities are to the detriment of the child’s physical or mental health, education, moral or social-emotional development. It covers situations of manipulation, misuse, abuse, victimisation, oppression or ill-treatment. Source: Save the Children
Oxfordshire Partnership Responses and Provision to Safeguard Children at Risk of Exploitation
- Child Exploitation Screening Tool
- Child Exploitation Screening Tool – Prompt Sheet
- Safeguarding Children at Risk of Exploitation Partnership Response- updated Mar 2020
- Children at Risk of Exploitation Network Meeting – Leaflet for families
Witney Family Solutions Service: short video on Child Drug Exploitation (CDE)
Started by Donnington Doorstep in June 2011, Step Out Project works with young people who are being, or are at risk of being, exploited. The project aims to raise children and young people’s awareness of Child Exploitation (CE); giving them the support they need to make informed, safe choices and to have appropriate, healthy and safe relationships.
Step Out works in partnership with children’s social care, police and schools, and alongside parents and carers to support and upskill them to appropriately and effectively safeguard their children. Initially focused on child sexual exploitation, Step Out now works with all forms of child exploitation (e.g. criminal exploitation, County lines, modern slavery, trafficking) and offers:
- Outreach and one-to-one support, long-term if needed
- Preventative group work in schools and community settings
- Advocacy and participation work to ensure the voices of the children and young people are heard
- Signposting and support to access other agencies
- Preventative work including information on healthy relationships, Child Exploitation (CE) awareness, keeping safe and building self esteem
- Participation in the coordination and facilitation of information sharing, networking, multi-agency working on CE across the County
- Support, resources and training for professionals
- Research and development of models of good practice
For further information click on Step Out resource library
To contact the project, email: email@example.com or telephone:01865 727721
Victims First Specialist Service, provides specialist support for victims and witnesses of serious crime including Rape & Sexual Abuse and Exploitation & Modern Slavery. Commissioned by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner, the service is available to those living in Oxfordshire and other areas within the Thames Valley.
Offering a holistic approach, the service helps those with longer term or more complex needs, provides crisis intervention and ongoing support to help those with multiple and/or historical experiences of crime, and those who have had a traumatic response to a single recent crime. When appropriate, the service will provide, family-oriented support when several members of the same family (or a couple) have been directly or indirectly affected by crime. For further information please click on the link above.
Home Office: Child Exploitation Disruption Toolkit
Catch 22 resources:
- Prevent a young person going missing: Spot the signs poster
- Different Dangers, Same Signs – signs of CSE/CCE poster
- Push and pull factors: What causes a child to go missing poster
- Spotting a runaway child poster
- Keeping children safe during the holidays poster
For further information on forms of Child Exploitation, Modern Slavery and Trafficking see the pages listed to the right.