OSCB Trainer of the Month for Nov / Dec 2022 – Vicky Hatch
Vicky has been involved with the OSCB Training Pool for approximately 20 years, probably our longest serving volunteer, when the infrastructure was minimal, and there were only about 3 trainers! Vicky can be relied upon to respond very quickly to calls for training cover and is always the first trainer to deliver her three required sessions in the new financial year.
Alongside delivering the core safeguarding courses, Vicky co-trains the ‘Train the Trainer’ course with the OSCB’s Training Co-Ordinator and helps with support of new trainers. She will always support the Board’s Conferences and Learning Events as well.
What does Vicky get out of being part of the training pool; here’s what she says:
‘To be a member of the pool is a huge asset to me, I read the latest research to share with participants, keeping my knowledge updated, which I can then also share with my Early Help Team.
Safeguarding is like a revolving door and you can quickly get trapped with a lack of knowledge if you are not careful. Working alongside other professionals is awe inspiring as each sector shares a dimension of safeguarding I might not have considered.
Every time I deliver a course, I learn something from the co-trainer and delegates.
Without the training delivered by the Board, we would have staff who are not are able to meet their statutory responsibilities ensuring all our children and young people remain safe and at the heart of our communities’.
Feedback from delegates would suggest that Vicky’s delivery of training has a huge positive impact on the safeguarding knowledge and practice of attending delegates:
- ‘I’ve attended the DSL course to refresh my training on 7 different occasions over the years and this course was the best yet!’ Education delegate
- ‘I am now confident on who to contact about any safeguarding concerns if I need to’. Level 2 early years delegate
- ‘It was a great refresher. The course discussed research by the NSPCC, so I shall look into this and any information about the effects of the Pandemic/lockdown and the current economic crisis. Details about the Chronology practice was very helpful and will support our setting in early identification of patterns and issues of any struggling families.’ EY DSL delegate.
- ‘During the training session the trainer asked the participants if they knew who their DSLs are and how these DSLs’ details are displayed on our bulletin boards; a simple question which was very useful to check out back at my setting’ EY Generalist course delegate
- ‘INCREDIBLE course!’ DSL delegate
- ‘I have made an action list to be included in our Safeguarding action plan for 2022 – 2023 with notes from the training’. DSL delegate
- ‘I am DSL and noted a few things that we are currently not doing as well as we could do in our setting, so this will be brought to the next supervision in order to change’ DSL delegate
Thanks for your long standing commitment to the OSCB’s training pool Vicky.
If you would like to know more about joining us in the delivery of safeguarding courses, please ask for more details from firstname.lastname@example.org