To report a new concern
Immediate Concerns about a Child
The Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) is the front door to Children’s Social Care for all child protection and immediate safeguarding concerns. If there is an immediate safeguarding concern, for example:
- A child or young person discloses physical abuse
- If there are signs of physical abuse e.g. injury
- A child or young person discloses sexual abuse
- A child presents as very different/scared to go home anxious and you are aware home could be risky
You should call the MASH immediately Tel: 0345 050 7666. A No Names Consultation should not be used for the above scenarios.
Please see the OSCB procedure for escalation and whistleblowing in Oxfordshire.
To talk about an on-going concern
If you want to speak to someone about an already open case contact the relevant Children’s Social Care Team.
- Oxford City – 01865 328563
- North Oxfordshire (including Banbury, Witney and Bicester): 01865 323039
- South Oxfordshire (including Faringdon, Wantage, Thame, Didcot and Henley): 01865 323041
- Emergency Duty Team: 0800 833 408
John Radcliffe Hospital Assessment Team: 01865 221236 (for antenatal safeguarding concerns and issues concerning children in the hospital).
If you are unsure whether to make a referral
You can contact the Locality and Community Support Service (LCSS) and request a ‘no names’ consultation (meaning you don’t give the child’s name). You can then discuss the situation with them and they will advise you on what to do next. If a referral needs to be made they will advise you of this.
- LCSS Central : 0345 241 2705
- LCSS North (including Banbury, Witney, Bicester, Carterton and Woodstock): 0345 241 2703
- LCSS South (including Faringdon, Wantage, Thame, Didcot and Henley): 0345 241 2608
To report concerns about child sexual exploitation
If a child or young person has made a disclosure regarding sexual exploitation, or if you think a child may be at risk of being sexually exploited please contact the Kingfisher Team on: 01865 309196. Out of hours calls to this number will be diverted to the Thames Valley Police Referral Centre.
To report concerns about child radicalisation
If you are concerned about a child or young person being radicalised please follow the guidance in this document below:
This could be in regards to a far right movement such as the English Defense League (EDL), animal rights activists such as the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) or in regards to religious extremism such as the Islamic State (IS).
To report concerns about a professional or person in a position of trust
Please contact the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) to report an allegation or concern on: 01865 810603 or email: LADO.email@example.com
To notify the local authority of a private fostering arrangement
Please contact the Private Fostering Social Worker on: 01865 323188.
A private fostering arrangement is one that is made without the involvement of the local authority for the care of a child under the age of 16 (under 18 if disabled) by someone other than a parent or close relative for 28 days or more in the carer’s own home.
For more information on this see the Parents and Carers page.
To find out more about what to do
Please click on the link below for the OSCB multi-agency procedures. This includes topics such as:
- Private fostering
- child sexual exploitation
- female genital mutilation
- disabled children
- forced marriage
- children missing education
- preventing extremism.