- An Introduction to Safeguarding’ (level 1 – Introductory)
- Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect’ (level 2)
- Think Family
Core Safeguarding Courses
The OSCB deliver 3 core safeguarding courses;
- Generalist (Intercollegiate Level 2), for practitioners who work with children, young people and/or their families for more than 3 hours per month and valid for up to 3 years. This is prerequisite to the specialist and the safeguarding lead course
- Advanced (Intercollegiate Level 3), a specialist course for practitioners who regularly work with any children and young people on a one-to-one basis and valid for up to 2 years. Generalist level training must have been completed prior to advanced training.
- Designated Lead (Intercollegiate Level 3), for those with leadership or management responsibilities for safeguarding children and young people within their role, and/or the named or designated lead professional for their organisation or setting.
Core Courses for Early Years, Childminders and Play Workers
OSCB run separate Core Courses for Early Years/Childminders/Play Workers. These courses have specific information included for Childminders and those working in an early year’s setting and specify that they are for early years, childminders and childcare settings on the online booking system.
Early Help Training
This 1/2 day course is specifically designed to increase confidence, skills and knowledge in supporting families at an early stage. The aims of the course are as follows:
- Recognise when an Early Help Assessment is required and be familiar with completing this process
- Understand how to implement a Team around the Family and the benefits of doing so with the family and other professionals
- Ensure the Childs voice is at the centre
- Understand the role of the Lead Professional
- Understand the Think Family agenda and recognise the need for this approach
- Be familiar with the Threshold of Needs and use this to understand level of concerns, and recognise when to use this to support referrals
- Be confident about how to access support from the Locality Community Support Service (LCSS
The themed courses are available for all professionals working with children, young people and families. These courses are aimed at increasing knowledge on specific safeguarding topics.
For an overview of all available courses and further information on the level of training you need, please see the Training Brochure – 2019-20